After an unplanned break from blog writing, I am back with a recipe! I explained in my last post how Hurricane Irene caused me to move veg:ology to the back burner for a week. The short version of the story is this: I worked 94 hours in 8 days, I drank gallons of coffee, and I ate a whole lot of free catered meals and carryout sushi. By the end of the second weekend of storm duty, I had a long To Do List of neglected chores, but what I felt that I really needed was to slow…. down….
I took my time with the chores and bought myself a new work bag while “out shopping for groceries.” I walked the long way to the coffee shop. I spent two hours on a NY Times crossword instead of catching up on blogs (sorry friends). While I folded laundry, I roasted eggplant for dinner. I made iced French roast coffee and cooked bourbon peach butter while I slept last night. This morning, when I woke up to the heavenly smell of warm peach butter simmering in the crock pot, I finally felt calm. Veg:ology is back and it feels good.
Slow Cooker Peach Butter
- 2 lbs fresh peaches (6-7 medium)
- 1 oz bourbon
- 1 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- juice of one lemon
- Fill a large pot of water with water and heat over high heat until boiling. Fill a large glass bowl halfway with ice water.
- Cut an X into the bottom of each peach. Place the peaches in the pot of boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Remove the peaches with tongs and place immediately into the bowl if ice water. Let peaches soak in cold water for two minutes.
- Remove peaches to a cutting board and dry them. Remove the skins (no peeling!) by sliding them right off and into the garbage. Cut in half, remove pits, and dice the peaches.
- Spray a crock pot with cooking spray and add the peaches. Stir in bourbon, sugar, spices, vanilla, and lemon juice.
- Place two chopsticks or two butter knives flat on opposite sides of the pot and place the lid on top of them to create a small vent in the top of the pot. This will allow some of the moisture to escape and thicken the sauce.
- Turn the crock pot on to low and cook for 12 hours or overnight.
- When the peach butter has cooked, use an immersion blender or food processor to puree to smooth.
Check out this perfect combination of summery peach butter and autumn pumpkin cream cheese, made to be enjoyed at my favorite time of year.
I love the change of seasons! Thanks for hanging in there, things will be back into full swing soon!