Being in the midst of the holiday season means that we are also in the season of giving, the season of baking, and the season of eating delicious treats until the buttons on our pants pop off. That is why this giveaway couldn’t come at a better time. As the days left in December fly off the calendar and we prepare for a new year, let’s continue the giving and keep baking while we’re at it.
I recently received some information from OXO about their charity, Cookies for Kids’ Cancer. Founded by two OXO employees, this organization raises money to fund research on new therapies for pediatric cancer. By baking cookies and holding bake sales, supporters around the country raise funds that are then matched by OXO through December 31st of this year. Check out their website here: OXO Good Cookies.
As a part of my recent foray into the world of baking, I developed my first cookie recipe, and I think this is the perfect occasion to share it with you! My Mocha Coconut Cookies are inspired by my sister, who once had a love affair with a Starbucks Frappuccino of the same name. I created this recipe for Meghan, who is a bit of a philanthropist herself. Throughout college she worked with her sorority to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Hospital. She is a proud cheerleader for my Dad’s efforts with Team in Training to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Ever since she was a little girl, she has felt a responsibility to protect and nurture all creatures, great and small. Especially the small. From taking in stray kittens to rescuing stray broccoli (“baby trees”) from the grim fate of being tossed in the garbage disposal, Meghan sweats the small stuff, so to speak.
I think Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is a charity Meg would really get behind, so I hope that she is honored to share the dedication of the recipe with this great organization. Boyfriend-tested and coworker-approved, this one is a keeper. These delicious cookies are light and fluffy like a dollop of whipped cream and rich and chocolatey like mocha syrup. To top it off, they include that tender flake of coconut and bitter hint of espresso that makes Meghan’s favorite (non-alcoholic) frozen drink so delightful.
Meghan’s Mocha Coconut Cookies
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 tsp coconut extract for true coconut lovers
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the first six ingredients, flour through salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- To the butter and sugar, add the eggs and vanilla and coconut extracts.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix thoroughly. Fold in the chocolate chips and flaked coconut.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated over for 12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
And now for a gift to you! OXO has been generous enough to provide me with an additional FREE Be A Good Cookie spatula for one lucky veg:ology reader. Let me tell you, this spatula is the bomb dot com. It is perfect for cookies and all my sweet treats lifted off the baking sheets with ultimate ease. And I’m going to throw in a few cookie ingredients to sweeten the deal.
There are two ways to get entries in the contest to win a Good Cookie gift pack, complete with an OXO Be A Good Cookie spatula and an assortment of my favorite cookie ingredients:
- Leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite type of cookie to receive one entry.
- Visit www.oxogoodcookies.com and register your own bake sale to benefit Cookies for Kids’ Cancer*. Leave a comment on this post with the name you registered your bake sale under to receive two additional entries.
The deadline for entries is Tuesday, December 27, 2011 at 11:59 PM. I will use a random number generator to select and announce the winner on Wednesday, December 28th. Good luck and happy baking!
*OXO has pledged to match the proceeds of all bake sales held through December 31, 2011. However the fun does not stop there; feel free to register a bake sale in 2012 and continue the giving into the new year.