Fact: The best time to hit someone with a groan-worthy pun is when you are about to give them something. Who can complain about your corny sense of humor in the face of such generosity?
OXO recently sent me two free salad dressing shakers from the OXO Healthy Eating Tools product line: one to review and one for you! I was really excited when the package arrived in the mail. I am a big fan of OXO products and this salad dressing shaker is the perfect complement to my OXO salad spinner. I couldn’t wait to test it out.
When I make a dressing, I usually whisk it together in a bowl then transfer it to a large liquid measuring cup with a spout to pour. Then when I have leftovers I transfer the dressing again to a smaller container with a lid. That is three containers for one batch of dressing. Since I still do not own a dishwasher, this is a significant consideration. I must say, it is really convenient to have one tool for mixing, serving and storing my salad dressing.
I experimented with a brand new recipe when I put OXO’s shaker to the test.
First, add liquid ingredients. The measuring lines make proportions easy.
Next, add non-liquid ingredients and screw the lid on top of the shaker.
Finally, the dressing is ready to use! Simply open the toggle top and pour to serve. The airtight, watertight, leakproof seal makes it easy to close up and store in the refrigerator with no mess.
This dressing was fantastic. While the tool was awesome, I don’t think it had much to do with the initial taste. I think the great flavor was a classic case of the right dressing, in the right place, and the right time. I created this fresh lemon and thyme vinaigrette to complement all my favorite spring flavors. I think you could pair this dressing with just about any fresh vegetable (or fruit) you find at the farmers’ market this weekend and it would be delicious. Even strawberries! Especially asparagus! If you’re lucky enough to find them, the last of the winter greens! How could you go wrong with these ingredients to start?
Garlic, lemon zest, dijon, salt, pepper, thyme. Olive oil, white wine vinegar, and perfectly tart fresh lemon juice. This dressing was composed with asparagus and eggs in mind. It was inspired by hollandaise and kept in check by bikini season, which will be here before you know it. I served the vinaigrette over a spinach salad with roasted asparagus and leeks, fresh radishes, and hard boiled eggs.
The recipe follows, but because I know the anticipation is killing you, let’s do the giveaway first. One lucky reader will receive his or her own OXO salad dressing shaker. This contest is open to U.S. residents only. There are three ways to get entries, so you could have up to three entries into the giveaway, as long as you leave a separate comment for each one.
- Write a comment on this post telling me your favorite type of salad or salad dressing.
- Follow @vegology on Twitter, write a comment on this post telling me you did, and include your Twitter handle.
- Tweet at @OXO that you entered a giveaway on vegology to win a salad dressing shaker and write a comment on this post with a link to your tweet. (Sample tweet: “I entered to win an @OXO salad dressing shaker at @vegology because it’s thyme to shake it!”)
All entries must be received by 11:59 PM EST on Monday, May 7th in order to qualify. I will announce the winner next week!
So, how about that recipe?
Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar, honey or sugar substitute
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients in OXO salad dressing shaker. Close lid tightly.
- Shake until thoroughly mixed then serve dressing over your favorite salad.
- Store in refrigerator (up to 3 days) in the salad dressing shaker.
May the odds be ever in your favor!