This recipe was inspired by fresh peaches from the market. I considered calling the dish Chickpeachutney Cakes. So much fun to say. Try it.
We enjoyed this spicy, hearty, juicy, sweet dinner on a warm summer evening. I think it would taste best when the peaches are perfectly ripe and still warm from the market.
Peaches are a delicious taste of summer, while warm curry and potato are reminiscent of fall. If you are like me, you are already looking towards the fall and anticipating the familiarity of its warm and spicy flavors on cool, crisp nights. I expect to make this dish over the next two month “tweason” that ties summer to fall. As an added bonus for vegans, there are no eggs in these cakes; this dish is totally vegan!
Curried Chickpea and Potato Cakes with Peach Salsa
Curried Chickpea and Potato Cakes
- 1- 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiled water until tender. Drain and mash.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mash the chickpeas with a fork into a paste.
- In a medium pan, heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion until fragrant, then add carrots and garlic and sauté until tender.
- Add the cumin to the pan with the onions, carrots and garlic. Cook for 1 more minute, then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix the potatoes, chickpeas, and onion-carrot mixture with lemon juice, curry powder, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 Tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Divide chickpea potato mixture into 6 parts and form into patties. Fry in oil, 3-5 minutes on each side. Serve over lettuce or on buns.
- 2 fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and chill until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.