We picked up some Asian pears from Saunders Brothers Orchard at the farmers’ market this weekend.
We also picked up a very fancy grape leaf wrapped ripened Chesapeake Blue goat cheese from Sullivan’s Pond Farm.
With a little help from Serious Eats to perfect my onion caramelization method, and a batch of my basil pesto with just a few ingredient adjustments, we were in business.
Nutty, earthy pesto made with Victory Farms basil. Crisp, slightly sweet pears from Saunders Brothers. Caramelized red onion from Walnut Hill Farm. Tangy blue goat cheese from Sullivan’s Pond Farm. It was a locavore’s late summer feast!
I served this alongside a simple salad of fresh arugula with dried cherries, walnuts, and a berry walnut vinaigrette. Fresh cherries would be perfect this time of year too. There are a few steps to get the components just right, but this pizza is worth the extra effort. It looks impressive but is easy to make; it works on a weeknight family dinner or for company on the weekend.
Asian Pear Pizza with Blue Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onions and Walnut Pesto
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup walnut halves or pieces
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 recipe pizza dough, store bought or homemade (great recipe here)
- 5 small Asian pears (or 3 large), thinly sliced
- 2 oz. blue cheese (I used goat cheese but any kind will do)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over low-medium heat in a medium pan. Caramelize the red onions according to instructions here: How to Caramelize Onions.
- While the onions are cooking, make the pesto. In a food processor, combine basil, mint, walnuts, garlic, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Process until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add sliced Asian pears and cook for 5 minutes, then drain and set aside to dry.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a baking sheet or pizza pan. Top with pesto, sliced pears, and caramelized onions. Crumble the blue cheese over top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Season with fresh ground black pepper.